Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Vatican: Pulling Plug on Terri Akin to Capital Punishment

I'm afraid I must disagree with the Vatican on this one. No civilized country would mete out capital punishment by withdrawing food and water.

Hopefully Terri Schiavo is too brain-damaged to know what is happening to her. Though at terrisfight.org I've seen some video clips that make me uneasy. In these Terri appears to be severely brain-damaged yet certainly aware of her surroundings and capable of emotion.

Of course her husband, Mark Schaivo, knows much more about her situation than I do. But from these videos I'm afraid she is able to suffer. No doubt she would be better off to be with God, but starvation and dehydration is a horrible death. If there is any chance that Terri can still feel, however slightly, letting her die this way is obscene.

4 comments:

DUB said...

I'm curious as to how you feel now, after the autopsy findings that Terri's brain was irreversibly damaged and reduced to about half its size, and she had gone blind.

I find it somewhat ironic that you find starvation and dehyration such a horrible thing to be imposed on her, when her original hospitalization stemmed from her doing just that to herself, as a bulimic.

I also wonder how you feel that Bush abruptly ended his vacation over the Schiavo incident, but has basically done nothing in the early stage of the horror that is Hurricane Katrina.

Anonymous said...

They didn't "ete out capitol punishment" to terri shiavo; Michael Shiavo was doing what was best for Terri. And yeah, death by dehydration or starvation might be a horrible death, but I think that living in the state that Terri was in was even more horrible. At least this way, she didn't feel any pain.

Anonymous said...

Hi ##name##, I'm trying to learn about lawncaregrass as spring is approaching. this year I plan on having the best yard in the neighborhood.

Ainsley_Jo_Phillips said...

In the case of Terri, I believe that her so-called husband, Michael, had the opportunity to get away with murder and took it.

My suspicions are that he was simply finishing the job that he began fourteen years before.