Friday, September 22, 2006

The Devil and President Bush

I don't care for the Bush administration or many of its policies. But I have to agree with them about President Chavez's speech in which he called President Bush "el diablo" - the devil. The devil is the ultimate purveyor of evil, the "lion who seeks whomever he may devour". Even Bush's most hateful opponents wouldn't give him that. Also, as the opposite number of St. Michael, the chief of the angelic armies, the devil would be strong and clever, a most formidable foe. Surely he'd never invade Iraq without some kind of exit strategy. It's just too silly for a serious response.

As for Chavez's other accusations, whether Bush is a "liar" or a "tyrant" is still being widely discussed. I have my own opinions, but for now I'll leave it up to others.

4 comments:

Saint Pat said...

I agree -- unless it's a really good act, the Prez isn't smart enough. I think he's the devil's puppet -- the shill.

Those under the influence of evil can act really, really stupid.

Mike V. said...

I thought it was funny.
Besides, there's no such thing as the devil anyway, but it was fun to see Chavez do his thing and make the sign of the cross and all that.
He's a good showman.
If there is true evil in this world, Bush is certainly part of it, though..

Bradley Herring said...

It was obviously a joke, a play on Bush's use of overblown religious metaphors in his speeches. Come on, you didn't really think "I can still smell the sulfur" was serious, did you?

Bluebird said...

I don't know. You may be right. But Chavez is from a Catholic country,and Catholics take the devil pretty seriously, if not George Bush.