Saturday, February 10, 2007

post-methodist: boys to men

In this post Jason Woolever comments approvingly on Raising A Modern-Day Knight by Robert Lewis. I haven't read the book, but here's what Jason says:

Lewis and some friends made the observation that modern culture doesn't have a right of passage into manhood. He offers some ideas for how men can help their sons transition into adulthood with meaningful ceremonies (such as having godly men gather to encourage them and pray over them... nothing too far out).

He also says that young men need a biblical vision for authentic manhood. He builds it on Scripture. Here's a list of his "Manhood Principles" without explanation.

A real man...
#1 - rejects passivity
#2 - accepts responsibility
#3 - leads courageously
#4 - expects the greater reward...God's reward.

Read the book for a thorough explanation of these principles and why they are so important. I recommend it to every man who has a son.


It does sound like some very good principles. But isn't it just as important for my daughter to be strong and courageous as it is for my son? Why can't we get rid of this "men should be strong, women should be passive" mentality and just raise good Christian children?

5 comments:

Heidi Renee said...

Here, here!

That's why I love the Jewish culture rite of passage - they are identical for both boys and girls.

I truly do believe that there is a huge gap in the training of our children in transition to adulthood. This is important to fill in this gap, but gender exclusivity isn't really the way to do it.

John Wesley said...

Dear and Gentle Sister in Christ,

I would whole-heartedly agree with you. My dear and sainted mother did not distinquish between my sisters and my brothers when it came anything. All were expected to do academics and chores, equally.

In fact, my father had to rebuke my mother for preaching whilst he was in debtor's prison -- publikly, but privately, he was quite proud of her and knew she was the better theologian.

I would like to invite you to visit my humble journal, as I start my tenure upon the continent of the Americas. I have been elucidated by your musings and wish to remain in your prayers whilst in the Americas.

I am most curious about the manner in which clergy conduct themselves in the colonies, as I am a newly arrived pastor and do not wish to offend the faithful and the savages. So prithee hence to my journal and let us hold each other accountable in our mutual love of Christ.

I remain God's humble servant,
John Wesley

John said...

Sure, but that's what the feminist movement has already accomplished. Now it's time to bring the boys up to speed.

David Barbour said...

I needed a rite of passage. The father was away at work and the people who spent time listening were the woman. Not sure what I would have done if both men and woman were working? The Church's rites of passage like confirmation should help bridge the gap.

www.barbourblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Blizzard warnings were issued for parts of Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin as snow socked the states in tandem with hot air gusts topping 45 miles (72 kilometers) per hour.
The blizzard -- 10 days sooner than the birth of winter -- took its greatest chiming in Minnesota, where as much as two feet (61 centimeters) of snow had fallen in some locations, according to the National Ill Appointment (NWS).
The constitution's largest new zealand urban area Minneapolis was under a blanket of corpse-like 17 inches (43 cm) profound, the worst snowfall to hit the city in more than 19 years and the fifth-biggest on record.
As an with of the rage's hardness, Minneapolis-St. Paul Ecumenical Airport -- a travel heart with expertness in contending with foetid unwell -- was shut down for the purpose the oldest one day in years.